A chipped or a broken tooth happens. Whether you got hit in the face with a ball of some type or you just bit into a hard substance, your teeth can become damaged.
Federal Hill Smiles offers comprehensive dental care in Baltimore. We specialize in cosmetic dentistry, orthodontics, and general and family dentistry. We aim to be your go-to dentist when you have a problem or just need a teeth cleaning. Below, we’ll go over what a chipped or broken tooth repair entails. Contact our team to get started today!
WHAT IS A CHIPPED TOOTH?
A chipped tooth is when a piece of the tooth’s outer covering known as the enamel breaks off. These can be so minor that you may not even notice it until you look in the mirror or your dentist notices it the next time you are in. If you chip your teeth noticeably, you may expose the dentin or an inner layer of your teeth or you may even expose a nerve, which then can be painful. A broken tooth is usually more severe than a chipped tooth and can result in a good part of the entire tooth missing. Cracked teeth is where a fracture forms in the tooth, and this may not be all that noticeable.
If you’ve chipped, cracked, or broken a tooth, it’s best to see your local Baltimore dentist as soon as possible. They can evaluate the severity and then recommend the best course of action. Possible chipped or broken tooth repair options include:
- Rounding of the tooth. This is done for the smallest of chips.
- Filling, crown, or cap. Minor chips that show some of the tooth enamel are usually pretty simple to fix with a filling, crown, or cap, depending on the location of the tooth and its severity.
- Root canal. If your tooth is severely damaged, such as when over half is missing and your roots are exposed, a root canal is usually necessary. This is where the rest of your tooth will be removed and the nerve and a crown or a cap will take its place.
- Dental veneers. Veneers are made from porcelain or a composite resin in the shape of your tooth. They are thin layers that are bonded on top of your teeth to give them a great appearance. These are great for front teeth that have become chipped or broken.
- Dental implants. If you have to have your tooth removed because of the crack or break, a dental implant is an option to replace it. This is a fake tooth that is implanted into your jaw.
HOW TO PREVENT BROKEN OR CHIPPED TEETH
Watch What You Eat
You’ll want to avoid super hard foods, such as hard candies, apples, popcorn kernels, and more that can cause your teeth to break.
Don’t Use Your Teeth to Open Items
Most of us are guilty of using our teeth to open items; however, it’s best to not do this at all no matter your situation. Your teeth were not designed to be bottle openers.
Wear a Mouthguard
If you play any type of sport, you should wear a mouthguard. This will protect your teeth from an accidental fall, a ball in the face, or even just someone’s elbow if you move wrong.
PARTNER WITH FEDERAL HILL SMILES TODAY
Federal Hill Smiles offers the best dental care in Baltimore. Our local dentists care about our patients and help them to have the best possible oral health. From preventative tooth cleanings and care to tooth whitening, root canals, and chipped tooth fillings, we do our best to ensure your teeth are bright, shiny, and, more importantly, pain-free.
Since your teeth are so vital to your life, from chewing your food to talking, it’s important to not only ensure your teeth are healthy, but also for you to enjoy your smile. Our local dentists and staff do our best to ensure your comfort while in our care. Please let us know if you have any anxiety about seeing a dentist, and we’ll do our best to allay your fears.
If you are interested in our dental services in Baltimore, contact our dental team to schedule an appointment today!